Tuesday, March 27, 2007

WINTER... Back at school (Part 20h)

It had continued to snow, heavily, and it made for a long, slow trip back to my campus. It was dark out and the wind was now blowing the snow making it really nasty. I was really looking forward to getting a nice, big, warm meal but it had to wait.

The administration hadn't taken kindly to the water fight within the dorm during exam week. As I walked through the door I was surprised to see the RA (resident advisor) sitting at a desk right in the middle of the hall. He was there to greet all the dorm residents and present them with a document that had to signed to be allowed back in. Since there was no way to identify just who started the whole incident, the administration decided that all those residing in the dorm would have to share, equally, in the cost of the repairs. If we didn't sign the document we were told we wouldn't be allowed to register for classes the next day. That was only part of it. As it turned out, the water had ruined the wooden floors on both the first and second stories and those of us who lived in those areas were being relocated until the repairs were completed. The RA had a list of known vacancies in the other dorms and we were told we could chose to move to one of them or we could double up with the guys on the third and fourth floors. I perused the vacancy list and saw that my friend, Bob, whose girlfriend had roomed with Elle during the Fall party, had a vacancy. I knew that his roommate had been homesick right from the start. I guessed that he had decided not to come back. I put my name down in that spot and then set about collecting my things to take to my new room.

Bob was excited to see me. He didn't know about the relocation of the 30+ guys from my dorm and was pretty much resigned to living alone for the semester. He helped me get the rest of my things and to get settled. His room was in an older dorm and all the rooms were doubles. It was split into a study room with two desks and a sleep area with bunk beds and dressers. What struck me the most was that the sleep room in my old dorm was almost as big as the two areas of this room. It would take some getting used to...

To be continued...

No comments: