Monday, May 09, 2011

SUMMER FUN... July, at home (Part 72b)

As I’ve written before there were a number of residents in the trailer park that worked for a large aerospace company and were working on the lunar module. The company had two facilities in the area and one was only about 6 to 8 miles away. On the grounds was a recreational area for the employees and their families where the company held an annual picnic. The company also allowed the local Chamber of Commerce to use the grounds to hold an annual fund raising bar-b-que. When we moved back to the area the previous Summer I heard about it but at the time couldn’t afford to go. The neighbor next door, Alvin, was another who worked at the facility. Since his wife and Elle had become close what with her taking care of the kids when Elle was called to teach, she persuaded him to sign us up as “extended family” so we could go to the picnic for free. Alice, the lady who was teaching Elle about tennis and who’s daughter Julie was my daughter Jean’s best friend, was also eligible to go as her husband was an engineer of the lunar module project. However, the weekend of the picnic he was on assignment in Texas. She, upon hearing that we were going, asked to be included as she really didn’t know anybody but the people in the park.

We were told to be ready to go around 8am even though the gates didn’t open until 10am. The reason was that there weren’t a lot of places to find shade on the grounds and if you hoped to find one you had to be there early. With that knowledge I convinced Elle to wear a full “package” as it might be up to three hours until she could get to a rest room. I also told her to bring extra clothes and panties since we really had no idea of the layout of the facilities. She, upon hearing me, started loosing interest in attending. Thankfully, Jean our oldest, was really excited about going since Janelle had told her about all the fun things to do there. Alice and Julie rode with Elle and I. Alvin and his family led the way.

It was one of those perfect Summer days with few clouds and not unmercifully hot. Alvin had been right about being there early as there was quite a line when we arrived. As soon as we parked Janelle and her sister took off running to find a shady place for all of us. We’d brought folding chairs, blankets and beach towels to stake out our space. The girls found a fairly large bush that became our home base. As we set everything up I kept a close watch on Janelle hoping for a VPL and/or a DP. She wore what I believe was a short set as her blouse was trimmed with the same material as her shorts. I remember Elle commenting favorably on it.

By the time we got settled it was close to 11am and Elle badly needed a change as did Anne, our youngest. There was only one building and it was there, primarily, as a first aid station but it also contained rest rooms. Even though it was early, lines had already formed for the ladies room so Elle decided to change both herself and the baby in the station wagon. When she told me I thought she was kidding.

Janelle and her sister had taken off with Jean and Julie to show them all the things they could do. Alvin took off to find the guys he was supposed to play softball with leaving me there with Alice and Molly. I remember feeling somewhat “lost”. The only thing I had in common with Alice was that she was teaching Elle tennis. I had absolutely nothing in common with Molly other than she was my next door neighbor. I was praying for Elle to get back quickly.

It seemed like forever by the time she reappeared. She’d run into Janelle and the kids and watched as they rode the merry go round. On her travels she got to see some of the other attractions and offered to take Alice and I for a tour. Molly wanted to stay in the area with all the things we’d brought. Besides than the merry go round the other large attraction was a ride on train. I have no idea how to size it other than five adults could ride in each car. It was gasoline powered and had an “Engineer”, dressed authentically. With six cars it could handle 30 people. We made a note of the location of the “station” and continued on our rounds. There were swings of various sizes along with slides and teeter totters. There was a stage for entertainment where some local bands were setting up to play. It was quite impressive.

The company provided a box lunch and a soft drink for everyone and they started handing them out at Noon. It was a madhouse but a good time to ride the merry go round. Elle and I collected our kids and headed that way while everybody else headed for the food. Much to Jean’s pleasure we got to ride it multiple times. After eating, Jean wanted more of the merry go round and Janelle offered to take her and Julie back. Before leaving she cleaned up the left over lunches and as she did I got one of my wishes... a nice DP (down pants). As I’d come to expect, there were two waist bands. That always excited me. However, she and the kids were soon gone.

Elle and I then took our youngest for a ride on the train. I asked Elle if she wanted to go change her or the baby first but she said they’d be OK. The tracks ran the perimeter of the grounds and took about ten minutes. I was impressed with the whole operation. Elle, with the baby in her lap, sat right in front of me. We were almost back to the “station” when Elle let out a bit of a yelp. I asked what was wrong but she didn’t answer but I soon found out the reason. The baby’s diaper had leaked in her lap so we definitely had to go back to the station wagon.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Sounds like a fun day. Great to have Janelle around no doubt, for more than one reason!