Sunday, January 22, 2012

SUMMER... My day of infamy (Part 84e)

Behind her desk Mrs K leaned forward and, for the first time, wasn’t smiling. She stared right at me with a bit of a frown. Being as serious as I’d ever seen her she proceeded to tell me that my “downfall” was that I had been insubordinate and, because there were witnesses to it, there was nothing that could be done to “save me”. She said she knew exactly how I’d felt and that I was probably justified to “blow Leo off”. But, disobeying the order to get out of his office was clearly of the magnitude that could/would lead to termination. She could see I had gotten the “message” and then leaned back with her smile returning. Then she said “How would you like to come to work for me?” My mind went blank (and, as far as the next few minutes are concerned, still was). I think she had to ask me a couple of times. I wasn't really sure that I'd heard the words "work for me".

The position was at the same grade level (pay) as I’d been in and was for the position of Personnel Technician (PT). She had two vacancies and if I was interested all I basically had to do was take a test. Of course from the monetary standpoint I wanted the job. But, before I did anything else I asked what a PT did. She gave me the briefest rundown possible and then, with that huge smile, told me I’d “love it”. Still trying to “sell” me she told me that she could guarantee that I’d stay on the same step level (same pay) even though it would be a different position. The only thing was that I’d have to wait a year from the actual date of hire before I’d go to the next step (get a raise). My head was swimming by then. It was very obvious that she liked me... a lot. So, without knowing what I was saying yes to I told her I’d like to work for her.

Before I left she had me fill out an application for the exam. It was a statewide exam held monthly and she said she would “pull strings” and get me registered for the upcoming one that Thursday. It was to be the same kind of exam (multiple choice) that I’d taken for the position of Accountant and in the same place in the city. Mrs K told me that it was a “common sense” type exam and not to waste time trying to study for it. Before I left she pointed out to a row of desks along the window saying that’s where the PT’s operated from. There was no one there so I asked why. She laughed and said it was CT day. That meant nothing to me but I let it slide. By then all I wanted to do was to get home to tell Elle of my good fortune.

Once in my car I realized that I was wet with perspiration. I just sat there trying to process the past 20 or so minutes. All of a sudden it came to me that it would probably be a good idea to bring Elle a present. I had the $40 from the sale of my old sails so headed downtown. I’d thought about getting shorts like I’d seen Cat wear but didn’t have any money until then. I got to thinking about what store might carry the Aileen brand. The only clothing store that carried current styles, especially for the younger woman, was right in the middle of town. Usually when shopping downtown I’d park at my grandfather’s house. I knew if I did that it would be a while until I got home. I got lucky and found a parking space right on Main Street. As soon as I walked into the store I saw a top that I knew Elle would love. It was sleeveless with orange and yellow (goldenrod) horizontal stripes. If I could find the white shorts I had my mind set on the two would really make her happy. I found where the tops were hanging and was pleased to see the Aileen label. I found medium top and then went looking for the white shorts. I knew that Elle usually wore a size 10 for her pants and shorts but the sizes I found were only large and medium. Normally, I didn’t like talking with salesladies but when one approached me I was happy. I asked her to translate a size 10 the the sizing on the shorts. She smiled and said it was usually a small but that since all they had left a medium should do. I really didn’t have a choice so I took them. As I checked out she mentioned that all the Aileen Summer wear was on sale for 1/3 off. I hadn’t even checked the price tags. When she told me the total was a little over $18 I was a bit surprised but that was because I/we hadn’t bought any new clothes in a long time. It didn’t really matter because I was convinced that Elle was going to love them... and I hoped that they would help put me on the right side of her for a change.

She was playing with the kids out in the lawn when I drove up. I had the clothes in a bag and was trying to figure out how to hide them from her finally giving up. By the time I made it to the patio she had Anne in her arms and was headed inside. She stopped and said “Well?” with the trace of doubt in her voice. I didn’t fool around and told her I had a job at the same salary. I could see the tension abating as she had the start of a smile forming. She again started for the door and I gently reached for her arm to stop her. As she turned towards me I handed her the bag. She put Anne down and peered inside. I heard a little squeal as she pulled the top out. “ I love it!” was her response as she held it up in front of her. She was wearing an old pair of khaki shorts and the orange and yellow top, even with the dull color of the shorts, looked good. I told her there was still something else in the bag. That was when I realized why she had been headed inside. I saw her do a “dip” with her legs crossed at the knees and then start for the door. She didn’t make more than a few steps before she squatted down. As I watched the puddle grow I felt a rising motion in my pants. She looked up at me and for the first time since I’d called her from the town hall on Friday I saw the familiar smile that I loved.

To be continued...

No comments: