Monday, February 27, 2012

SUMMER... August (Part 87a)

Arriving home I saw the station wagon was gone. Walking up the path I was actually glad as I saw my jeans and shirt from when I’d worked on Lil’s unit in the morning and remembered that I hadn’t taken the panties I’d taken out of my pocket. I took them inside and gave them a good inspection. Reigning Beauty was a new brand for me. They definitely weren’t new but were in good shape. I was about to put them in my pocket when I noticed something different. They didn’t have side seams and I found that interesting.

I still hadn’t told Elle that I was racing the car Saturday night. It was looking like it was going to be an “Oh... by the way...” type of thing and that was always a bit “dicey“ for me. I looked around for something to do that would win me some ”brownie points“ but didn’t see anything that would qualify. What I did see was a note from Elle that said she and the kids were shopping with Dora and for me to call the telephone number she’d written down. I didn’t recognize the name that was with it but called anyway.

When I’d turned 25 years of age I was eligible to get the monthly interest from a trust fund that my grandfather had started for me. It averaged about $100 a month and was a nice cushion for Elle and I. The man I called was the one who handled the trust for the bank. He told me that there had been an error and that there was about $300 cash just sitting in the account that should’ve been sent to me. He apologized and asked what I wanted to do with it. Of course I told him to send it . Hanging up, I couldn’t believe it. But, it was a perfect way to get on the right side of Elle when she got back.

Not exactly overjoyed with the news of my plan to race, thankfully she focused on the unexpected money. I wasn’t ”home free“ and knew it. I also knew that tennis would be something to appease her and it did. I even wore the hated ”whites”. In the back of my mind I was hoping that there would be some females there so I’d get a “peek” or two. Dora volunteered to take the kids so when we got to the courts there were no distractions. All the courts were in use but one couple recognized us and invited us to join them. My first reaction was “no way” because I was such a “klutz” on the court. They were very nice and I was persuaded to make an effort. I’m glad I did as the woman, in her mid 30’s, was very generous with her peeks. Wearing a dress, she would bend at the waist to pick up stray balls. Elle caught me looking a few times and told me to behave myself. The man actually gave me some very good suggestions so it turned out to be a very, very nice afternoon.

I stayed close to home all day Friday trying to negate the “attitude” I knew would be coming Saturday. I was right. Elle was quiet but didn’t complain. I was really nervous and when Eric and Cal stopped by right after lunch I took off with them. They hadn’t seen the car since I added some color and they liked it. We were one of the first cars at the track and Jay and Jo met us there. I hadn’t seen Jo since the infamous lunch where Jay had announced their engagement and it was good to see her. I especially liked the short shorts she was wearing. When it came time for practice Eric wanted to test it to make sure that the new front axle we’d put in was installed correctly. By the time I got in the car I was so nervous that my hands were wet. The funny thing was that as soon as I pulled the car onto the track I was fine. I was in the first qualifying race and started last. By the end I’d passed a few cars but was the first car not to qualify. That meant I’d start first in the “last chance“ race... not a good place to be for a first timer. That really frightened me. Eric suggested that he drive it and try to get one of the three qualifying spots and, if he did, I’d drive it in the feature race. Jay thought that was a good idea.

It was exciting to see my car leading the race for a few laps. However, with one lap to go we were fourth and out of a qualifying position. I was bummed. As the cars headed down the backstretch one of the front running cars got a flat tire and slowed. As the cars crossed the finish line it looked like Eric had finished third... and qualified. It meant I’d start last which was certainly OK by me. I was less nervous waiting this time and, again, as soon as I pulled out onto the track it was like I was driving on the highway. My goal was to finish and position didn’t matter. I managed to miss all the wrecks and, even though I was lapped a few times, managed to finish 14th. To me, at that time, it was as good as winning.

Towing the car back to the park I was thinking about the next race. However, it wasn’t going to be the next Saturday. Eric and Cal wouldn’t be available as they would be on duty and it was also a big sailboat racing weekend. When I got home Elle was asleep but I stayed awake until she got up for one of her bathroom visits. Half asleep, she wasn’t interested other than knowing that I was OK. I was a bit disappointed but decided that it didn’t really matter. I was pleased with what I'd done and that’s what really mattered.

Sunday was a regular sailing day at the club and I have no idea how we did. I do remember that there was a dearth of available crews. I also remember asking JR why Bobbie, his co-teacher at sailing lessons, didn’t show up to race on Sunday’s what with the lack of crews. He laughed and said it was a ”stupid reason”, but then added, “she’s a girl!” I was a bit puzzled so pushed him on the “stupid reason”. He told me that she’d learned how to sail on a Sailfish, a boat with a single sail and had no idea what to do in a two sail boat like we raced. He said he’d even offered to take her out on his boat to show her but she’d refused. I had to agree with JR. It was a “stupid reason”.

In anticipation of the next weekend, the area sailing championships, I took the mast out and readied the boat to be trailed as we would be racing at a different venue. The format was a three day, four race schedule with one race being dropped. In the past, I’d been able to race all three days but this year, with my new job I wouldn’t be able to get Friday off. I really wanted to race as I’d won each of the five years I’d competed. However, I’d have to be especially good this year since I wouldn’t have the luxury of dropping my worst race. As we headed for home I was still optimistic.

To be continued...

No comments: