Wednesday, December 18, 2013

GOOD TIMES... Summer (Part 119d)

GOOD TIMES... Summer (Part 119d)

Getting dressed for work on Tuesday was painful. My sunburn was made worse by the fact that I had to wear a shirt with a stiff collar and a tie. By the time I got to my desk I was almost ready to turn around and go home but... Cee, one of the tellers was there waiting for me... with her resignation. If I were ranking the tellers, Cee would have definitely been in the upper third. An almost perfect attendance record; no customer complaints; well liked by everyone... not someone I wanted to lose. I sat down to find out why and when she was finished there wasn’t much I could say to change her mind. Her mother had just been promoted to office manager of a local company and had asked Cee to take her old position as bookeeper. Her resignation wasn’t from any dissatisfaction with the bank but strictly for ”family“. All I could do was wish her well. She'd done the bank a favor by waiting until after the "busy period" was which really was appreciated by me.

With the bank closed for three days and it being the ”busy period“, the lobby and platform, where Bret, Hobie and I were located, were flooded with people. As bad as I felt there was no way I could leave. There also was no time to even begin to peruse the applications file. Even though the doors to the bank were closed at 3pm, it was well after 3:30pm by the time the last customer left. Earlier I’d asked Trish to take a peek at the applications to see if there were any that she knew. When she put the file on my desk there was one on top of it so there was no way I could miss it. By then I’d come to trust her judgement on any number of things so took a good look at it.

Jacqueline looked, on paper, to be an immediate fit. She had over two years experience as a teller although it was with a Commercial bank. I desperately wanted to get out of my shirt and tie but I made the call. She was excited to hear from me and, if I’d asked her, she would’ve come right to the bank. I told her that 9am the next day would be just fine.

I didn’t have to guess who she was within the group of people gathered at the back door waiting for the bank to open. She was the only one younger than 40. I didn’t say anything as I walked past her to be let inside by Hank, the messenger/custodian.
I was waiting for her as she walked across the lobby. She was well dressed and definitely attractive. I was ready to hire her as soon as she sat down... but I didn’t. I had to go through the ”process“. As I remember it, she was around 25 years old. She was married to a local man that she’d met while he was serving in the Army. From upstate, she’d been in the area for about a month and was beginning to wonder if she was going to find a job. I spent about twenty minutes with her before I told her she was hired. I thought she was going to kiss me when I did.

She was willing to start immediately. By mid morning I had her observing Cee and when I checked with them at the end of the day, Cee told me that Jacqui (that’s what she wanted to be called) could probably be waiting on customers on Friday. Sometimes, you get just plain lucky. As it turned out, on Friday, Letitia, the older woman who was the head teller (in name only), was hit by a car in the parking lot and injured her hip. Friday was the last day of the ”busy period“ and one of the ”perks’ of it for the customers was that deposits made during the first ten calendar days of it got interest credit as if it had been made on the first. There was always a last minute rush of deposits on that last day and for the bank to be a teller down would have been a problem. A cash box was quickly put together for Jacqui and by 9:30am she was open for business. I told Cee to keep an eye on her and to let me know if there was a problem. She never called.

All the employees were glad the week was over. Other than Letitia’s unfortunate injury, work had gone rather well. Jacqui had meshed well with the other girls and, even though I'd been too busy to pay close attention, I thought there might be some possibilities for a few VPL's in the not too distant future. My sunburn had calmed way down and I was now in the “peeling” and itching stage. Arriving home, I found Elle asleep on the couch... in just her panties and a top... and there was no sign of the kids. It was close to 7pm and quite nice out. I was truly puzzled. I went upstairs and changed my clothes, hoping Elle would wake up on her own. When I came back down she was still in the same position. It was a classic pose with her rear facing out into the room. Over the past weekend my father had given me my grandfather’s Polaroid to take picture of the kids so my mother could send them to my aunt and uncle. When I finished he told me to keep it as he wasn’t into picture taking. It was in the hall closet and as I went to retrieve it I was hoping that there was still some “live” film in it. I found one picture left and as I tiptoed into the living room Elle was still in the same position. My luck had held. I was sure that the flash would’ve woken her but it didn’t. The next thing was to develop the picture and it couldn’t have come out any better.

                                 
VanRaalte panties


 When she finally woke up I found out that she and Sandy had played tennis for almost two hours. At the end she started to feel light headed. Back at home, concerned, she called her mother and asked her to take the kids because she wanted to lay down. After taking a shower she did and fell asleep. She told me she felt OK as we talked so then we both got up and had a bite to eat. After that we retired to the screened in porch, alone, for a very damp and enjoyable evening.

To be continued...  
                               

                                       

No comments: