Tuesday, December 31, 2013

GOOD TIMES... Summer (Part 119g)

GOOD TIMES... Summer (Part 119g)

After we’d brought the boat back to the marina the owner of it came over to say “Hello” and to remind me I still owed money on the trailer I’d bought from him for the Sunfish. I’d completely forgotten about it and was embarrassed. I didn’t have any money with me and told him I’d be back a little later with it. He said he wasn’t worried but I felt I had to make it up to him and knew I’d be back soon.

The driveway into and out of the marina was weird. Leaving, you had to make a 90 degree turn to the left, go about 50 or so feet and then make a 90 degree turn to the right. When I’d picked up the trailer and was leaving the marina I’d noticed two garages that backed up to the driveway with wash lines located right behind them. They were close enough to almost reach out and touch them. Leaving with Elle I noticed them again and there was some wash on one of them. There was nothing of interest but their proximity had me thinking to the future. I told myself that I’d have to pay more attention when arriving at the marina in the future.

That weekend was the annual Chamber of Commerce picnic that was hosted and held at the local aerospace facility. As a member, the bank was expected to provide volunteers and, as I’d done the previous year, I chose the Friday afternoon/evening shift so I’d be free to be with Elle and the kids for the picnic itself. The bank provided two tickets to each employee to not only support the Chamber but to also foster community involvement. I’d enjoyed laying out the parking area the previous year and took that project on. The group that I was working with finished up right before it got dark. Initially, I’d planned on going straight home but the local beer distributor     provided the workers with some libations and I ended up staying late. By the time I got home Elle was asleep. I knew she wouldn’t be happy so just slid, quietly, into bed.

We’d planned on leaving for the picnic around 8:30am so that we could eat early and get back with time to do something at home. I didn’t expect much in the way of conversation and I wasn’t disappointed. I’d shaved and showered before I heard anything directed at me. Knowing that the kids wouldn’t eat the Bar B Que Elle was making sandwiches for them and, in passing, stated that we had to pick Sandy up. That came for out of the blue so I asked. She said that she and Sandy had played tennis the previous day and, in conversation, she’d mentioned that we’d be going to “The Picnic”. It was such a prominent event in the area it had taken on the identity of “The Picnic” but Sandy hadn’t heard of it. She asked about it and Elle, knowing that we had the extra ticket (I, as a volunteer, got my food for free) asked Sandy if she wanted it. Her husband worked at a local boy’s camp and was working so she was going to be all alone anyway she said "yes".

I had no problem with her joining us and, in truth, immediately started thing about the possibility of a DP or a VPL, or maybe both. I loaded our gear, (blankets, beach towels, chairs, toys to occupy the kids, primarily Kaye the younger one and the kids food) into the station wagon while Elle corralled the kids and herded them in as well. Sandy was waiting for us. For her chair she had one of those beach things where the seat is just above the sand (or ground) but it did have a back. Bubbly as usual, Sandy seemed really excited to be going. As a volunteer I was allowed to enter the grounds though the back gate thus avoiding the long lines at the main gate. I’d staked out a place for us before leaving the night before. It was one of the few areas that provided some shade, at least in the morning. Being a Friday worker I had that advantage.

As soon as we got out of the station wagon the kids wanted to go get on the rides. We were too early for that so I suggested that as soon as we had our space settled we take a walk around to show Sandy what was there. I was surprised that they remembered so much only going there once a year. When we got to the merry go round I saw Bret. He was the combination ticket taker/operator. A bit further on I saw Lena, the president’s secretary, selling tickets in his stead as he was home caring for his invalid wife. Hobie was on the money counting detail. The only one I didn’t see was J J. He’d told me he would be working at the Bar B Que pit, flipping screens, but he was no where in sight. One of the guys doing the same job knew that I worked with J J and asked about him. I had no idea where he was and when I told the guy that he asked if I could fill in for him until he got there. If I have one major problem it’s that I don’t know how to say “No!” when asked to help out.

J J showed up after 11am, the time the public could be served their food. I wasn’t interested in his excuse but did tell him we were even. I’d “owed” him for helping to move the dining room furniture but no longer. As I headed for where Elle, Sandy and the kids were located I knew I smelled of Bar B Que chicken. Getting there I saw Sandy on her hands and knees playing with Kay and a little boy who looked to be her age. One of my hopes for the day was staring me right in the face... a beautiful DP. There was at least three inches across her back and from the waistband of her shorts to the elastic waistband of the panties, an inch. I couldn’t resist squatting down along side her but just a bit behind her. I made conversation but my eyes concentrated on the panties, very much wanting to identify the elastic and the panty maker. It only took a few second for me to see something totally unexpected. There was only one panty manufacturer that I was aware of with their label right in the middle of the back of the panty... Carters. They were the last brand I would’ve expected to see on her but there was no doubt about it in my mind.

To be continued...

No comments: