Wednesday, May 21, 2014

FINISHING UP... the year (Part 124l)

FINISHING UP... the year (Part 124l)

Just as the whole family was getting seated for the turkey dinner the phone rang. It was Celia calling to wish us a Merry Christmas. Even though the food was being served I didn’t have the heart to tell her I was in the middle of dinner. She sounded sad and said that although the house had been listed Vic hadn’t actually shown it. Sophie was doing as well as could be expected in her new surroundings and she closed by saying that when the weather got warmer, come Spring, that they’d be up to say ”hello“. As I retuned to the table I actually felt bad that it was celia who’d initiated the call.

It was a typical Christmas dinner, at least as far as my family was concerned. My parents and brother left shortly after eating while Elle’s family stayed. Both Elle and I were dead on our feet not getting to bed until after 3am and then back up before 7am. I knew Elle’s ”promise“, after receiving her ”throne“ present, was dead as well. I’d used all the film up so couldn’t even hope for a picture before going to bed. I don’t remember what time we finally made it but I do remember that no one, not even the kids, woke up before 9am, a new record. Because Christmas was on a Sunday, we had Monday off... thank goodness! We played with the kids and Elle let me ”play“ with her, not wiping after using the toilet and even giving me a ”squirt“ or two. I was mad at myself for not having enough Polaroid film.

Back at work on Tuesday I found an envelope on the seat of my chair. It was a Thank You card from Laura. It didn’t take much in the way of thought processing to figure out that Trish had told her even though we weren’t supposed to share that information. I went over to Trish to scold her but before I’d even gotten a few words out she interrupted to tell me that she’d arranged for me to get Laura in the gift exchange. As she told me she had a smile on her face. I’d gotten a nice elongated shoe horn but had no idea from just who it had come. It took a little while before everyone settled into the work routine again.

I’d been called to Cara’s window to appease an upset customer. The lady had thought that the ”busy period“ started that day and that she could withdraw her money without losing all her interest. She was just one day early. I was trying to calm her down when I saw laura exit the elevator with an armful of file folders. She’d only taken a few steps before she fell, face first onto the carpet with the file folders fanning out in front of her. Even though Trish was closer to her than I was, because I’d seen her fall I was there before she was. I squatted down by her head asking if she was OK and I saw Trish by her feet and removing something from around them. Some customers had come over to help and we got her to sit up. Someone asked what had happened and she said she didn’t know, only that she’d tripped and ended up falling. Trish took over her care while Bret and I picked up the folders.

Trish had taken Laura to the ladies room. I saw Trish getting her coat and going out the front door and wondered what was going on. My first thought was that Laura had hurt herself and Trish had gone to the drug store. She was only gone a short time and without taking her coat off headed right for the ladies room. I had no idea what had or was transpiring. Laura reappeared within minutes and went right to work. I headed right to Trish’s desk. All she’d tell me was that ”I didn’t need to know“.

Because the next day was the first day of the ”busy period“ I stayed late to make sure everything was ready for the expected onslaught of customers. The people from the cleaning service usually arrived around 6pm or so. They were early that night and I was surprised to see the owner, Ward, among the crew. He was a very pleasant ”colored“ man (remember, we’re still in the 60’s) and whenever I saw him we always had some laughs. It turned out that he’d allowed some of his help to have a few extra days off and was filling in for them. As much as I liked chatting with him I did want to get home so cut our banter short. I was about five steps into the lobby area when he called to me. I turned and saw him holding a pair of panties up that he’d just fished out of Trish’s waste basket. He had the widest grin I’d ever seen on him and made a comment about the ”wild times“ we must’ve had that day.

As I walked back to him he held them out towards me. I could see the waist elastic was very stretched out. The condition of the panties and where Ward had found them gave me a good idea what had happened to Laura that day. I quickly figured they’d probably fallen down around her ankles and tripped her up. I would’ve liked to have taken the panties but, with discretion being the better part of valor, I didn’t. It was on my way home that I remembered Trish’s quick trip outside while Laura was still in the restroom. I came to me that she'd just run next door to the W. T. Grant store to get a pair of panties for her. On my way home those thoughts occupied my mind and made for a quick trip (and a bulge in my pants). I’ll admit that I fantasized about the whole situation with Laura while trying to get to sleep that night. I was trying to come up with a scenario that would allow me to get her some new panties but I couldn’t.

Wednesday was the first day of the busy period and all the employees in the tellers area of the bank had been asked to arrive a little early and to be ready to ‘go” as soon as the doors opened. Trish was among them. I swear that I’d not given any thought to bringing up the panties that the cleaning service owner had found the previous night. However, Trish had felt guilty about running out without asking after Laura had fallen and felt she should apologize. She didn’t explain why she’d left and I, somewhat surprised by the apology, didn’t ask. After an awkward silence I blurted out a question... “Did it have anything to do with what Ward had found in your wastebasket.” As soon as I asked it I wished I hadn’t. The look on her face was one of pure shock. I immediately apologized to her and I was so embarrassed that I have no idea what I said.

As I’ve learned, you can never tell how people in a crisis will react. The crisis here was of a personal nature and not physical or of life and death. It only took a few second before she mumbled “They weren’t mine!” and looked away. All I can remember is the two of us standing at the corner of my desk, staring, red faced, at each other. I guess you could’ve called it a “stare down“. Trish finally broke the silence saying emphatically, ”Really!“ I honestly didn’t know what to say and after a few seconds she returned to her desk.

The lobby traffic was actually busier than expected but the day went smoothly. The tellers were in proof and on their way out the door before 6pm. I could’ve stayed but was tired and,  because we were still in the Christmas season, wanted to get home to play with the kids and their new toys. As I locked the door and turned to go to my car, out of the darkness came Trish. She didn’t waste any time, pleading with me to believe her that the panties weren’t hers. I hadn’t, right from the beginning but earlier had put myself in a ”box” and hadn’t known how to get out of it. I stood there and told her, a couple of times, that I didn’t think they were hers. While telling her the second time she put her hand on my arm and said something along the lines of “If you promise you won’t tell anyone I’ll tell you who they beloned to.”  I didn’t have time to give her an answer before she told me they were Laura’s. After she told me I was able to say “I promise!” There was still an uneasiness between us but I finally broke it by saying something like “I hoped they weren’t yours.” which brought a smile to her face as she walked away.

To be continued...

2 comments:

oldblue said...

Still Laughing, sounds like an Art Frahn cartoon. I think most of the girls at the bank had a thing for you. I wonder if the elastic in panties is that much better today or if ladies just don't keep them so long.

Pantymaven said...

OB... the culprit was (and is) Clorox. Chlorine is death to elastics. Back in those days most women didn't know that. It was great for lingerie makers as those who had items with elastic (bras, panties, slips) had to be replace them more often. I'm not sure when the manufacturers began putting washing instructions on the labels but that was an eye opener for many women.

BTW: I didn't know who Art Frahn was until I was almost 40, but it was a good comment... :-)