Sunday, May 10, 2015

CHANGES... good and bad (Part 131g)

CHANGES... good and bad (Part 131g)

It didn’t take long before Kaye woke up crying. Elle got up to sooth her but as soon as she put her back down in bed she started crying again. After a couple of tries Elle marched back into our bedroom and thrust Kaye into my arms with words like ”You caused it... you fix it!“ and climbed back in bed, turning out the light as she did. I took Kaye downstairs and sat in the recliner. At some point we both fell asleep. The first rays of daylight appeared and woke me up. Kaye was still asleep but I was stiff as a board. My back, which hadn’t bothered me in a long time, was definitely unhappy. I managed to get up and placed her on the couch while I tried to unlimber. That didn’t go well... at all.

When Elle came downstairs she looked tired and was definitely cranky. After checking on Kaye she told me to explain her condition to Sandy who was her babysitter for the day. I was barely dressed when she arrived. To me it appeared that she was back to being the Sandy I’d known before her miscarriage with both her bouncy step and big smile. Kaye was still on the sofa and fussing when she walked in. I watched as Sandy went over to her, bent over at the waist and kissed her cheek. That singular move was what really woke me up. Sandy was wearing a pair of short shorts and I got a ”double”... a VPL along with a a panty peek from under the leg cuffs. The VPL told me immediately that she was wearing “dribble panties” and the peek told me she wasn’t wearing the sanitary panties over them. I didn’t stay around for long because my bulge was growing faster than I could control it. In leaving I told her about Kaye’s accident and to call me if she felt there was a problem.

When I got Sandy’s call it was around 2:30pm. She had put Kaye down for her nap and she was still “fussy”. She waited a while before checking on her and when she did the bandage over her ear was no longer on and there was blood on the sheet. She didn’t know what to do and she also didn’t have a car. I knew there was no way to reach Elle so it was going to be up to me. I called Kaye’s doctor and brought her up to date on what had happened the night before and asked her what to do... take her to the ER again or bring her to her office. She told me to bring her in as she thought that when the bandage had come off it had taken the beginning of a scab off. I told her it would be about an hour. When I called Sandy back she had put a cold wet washcloth on the ear and was holding Kaye. She told me that Kaye was calm when she held and rocked her and planned on taking her out to the screened in porch and would be there in the big wicker rocking chair when I got home.

I cleared my leaving with both Hobie and Bret and headed home. As I pulled up the drive I could see Sandy in the rocking chair. Initially I thought she saw me pulling in and I waited in the car for a minute. When I saw there was no movement I finally got out and headed for the porch. I could see the chair wasn’t moving as I approached the steps. Opening the door I saw a puddle under the chair and Sandy asleep with Kaye cuddled up in her arms. I walked up to her and, as gently as I could, I rubbed her arm. Fortunately, it didn’t startle her. I could see she was embarrassed as she looked up at me but it wasn’t because she was wet but it was that she’d fallen asleep. It wasn’t until I’d taken Kaye from her and she started to get up that she realized her situation. That was when she was seriously embarrassed.

My concern was in getting Kaye to the doctor’s office. However, there was no way I was going to be able to take her by myself. Sandy was beside herself, apologizing for “making a mess”. I think I told her that it was OK... that I understood, a couple of times. I also emphasized to her that I needed her help. Her reaction was that she couldn’t go in that condition. I was holding Kaye (or I should say Kaye was holding me) and didn’t want to carry her upstairs to get some of Elle’s clothes for her to wear. I told her where to find Elle’s panties and that there should be a pair of shorts on the chair by the closet. I remember Sandy looking at me with a quizzical look on her face. I assured her that it was OK and to please hurry. As she headed up the stairs I noted her wet backside.


It didn’t take her long for her to return and as she came down the stairs I told her there were washcloths and towels in the cabinet in the bathroom. I was too preoccupied with Kaye that I never thought to look at which panties of Elle's panties she took. Again, she was quick and we headed out the door. I told her she’d have to drive as Kaye was now glued to me. That’s when we hit a major problem... my car was a standard shift with the shifter on the floor. She looked at me and shaking her head. For some reason I remembered that she grew up on a farm and asked if she’d ever driven any of the farm vehicles. She said she had but the shifter was on the steering column. I told her it was no different except that it was now on the floor. I then asked if she remembered how to use the clutch pedal and she nodded that she did. So I told her I’d do the shifting but she had to have the clutch pedal to the floor when I did. At first it was a very interesting trip but by the time we arrived we were both in sync.

The doctor, after looking at the wound, assured me that Kaye would be OK. Her diagnosis over the phone proved to be correct and all she did was to cauterize a small spot again and re-bandaged it. Kaye never let go of me the whole time. As we were leaving the doctor handed her two lolly pops, something Elle wouldn’t allow. Believe me, that got her attention. I was hoping she’d let go enough so I could drive home but as soon as I tried to give her to Sandy she started fussing again.

On the trip home she finally let go of me with both her hands to better handle the lollypops. When she did Sandy asked if it would be OK to go right her house as it was past 5pm and Johnnie, her husband, had a ballgame that night. Since she lived less than five minutes from where we did and I figured Kaye would be OK for me to drive that short of a trip. But the thing was that when she said 5pm I went into a mini panic. That meant no one was home when the older girls arrived from school. With Sandy and Kaye not there and finding the girls alone I knew there was going to be one very upset woman. I didn't know the half of it!

I never got a chance to explain anything because as soon as we (Kaye and I) walked in Elle, without saying anything, motioned for me to follow her. I did, right into the downstairs bathroom where she pointed to the sink. I looked in and saw the wet panties and shorts that Sandy had left behind when we took off for the doctor's office. I knew right there it was going to be a long night ahead of me.

Actually, it wasn't because Pat (the PTA lady) called while I was attempting to bring Elle up to date on Kaye. She was in a panic of her own. It had been reported to her that there was rumor circulating that Bob (who was running for the school board) had lost his job and was moving to Texas so to vote for him would be a waste of time. It wasn't true so she wanted to drop off a list of names of parents with kids in the school and then have Elle and or I call them to say that it was a lie. She also wanted us to encourage the people we called to go down to the post office on Saturday morning to meet Bob in person and to hear it from him. By the time I got off the phone with her my head was spinning between that, the afternoon with Sandy, the doctor and Kaye... and trying to explain it all to Elle.

To be continued...

2 comments:

oldblue said...

Sounds as though you are in the new PRESSURE COOKER.

Pantymaven said...

OB... You sure do have a way with putting a handle on things. :-)