Sunday, May 27, 2012

FINISHING OUT THE YEAR... Part 92c)


It appeared that when the lady had packed up she only took the clothes that she’d immediately need as there were still some clothes in all the drawers. As my father had said, it had been their intention to come back at some time in the Fall. The panty drawer was a little bare but there were two very nice Vanity Fair panties for viewing. I’d seen some of her panties on the wash line in the past and had, at one time, actually taken a pair off and inspected it in my car before returning it to the line. I remembered that one was also a Vanity Fair panty. There were a number of others but they didn’t look as ”inviting“ so I bypassed them. Luckily, my father came into the house with the tools and I heard him enter because if he’d come to the window he would’ve seen me with the panties and that would not have been good.

We finished up around noon and on my way home all I could think about was getting the race car moved. When I got there I found Elle heading out the door. There was some sort of meeting at the church concerning Sunday school and the nursery. She didn’t ask me and I didn’t volunteer to take care of the kids for her. It didn’t take me long to get up to the race car and hitch it up. Legally, to flat tow a vehicle someone had to be physically inside the car being towed. I took the chance and had it safely inside the garage by mid afternoon. With my mind totally engulfed with the car and racing I decided to stop by and see ”Crash“. He lived in the same town and was only minutes away. I was pleased to see his daughter answer the door. Even though her hair was up in curlers she still exuded real beauty. ”Crash“ was right behind her and, as I already knew, he loved his beer on the weekends. There was no question about that as he greeted me with a beer in hand and a very loud "HIYA!,.

We made some small talk and then he asked what brought me ”to town“. I’d told him that both my parents and my wifes’ parents lived there the last time I'd seen him. But he wanted to know if I was there about the motor he was holding for me. He seemed disappointed when I said that I wasn't. I told him about moving the race car which turned out to be a BIG mistake. He wanted to go see it. After opening the garage doors and walking around the car he stood there and laughed. Then he accused me of resurrecting one of his old cars saying that the dents on the roof and back were exactly the same. He was joking but he did offer one piece of advice... get a new car. I protested that I still didn’t have the money for the motor that was sitting in his garage. He then told me to get in the car. It was as if the car was his but with me as the driver. He then instructed me, turn for turn, where to go. We ended up in a somewhat familiar place... the yard of another former racer

George was one of the original drivers when the track first opened. Back when I had my first race car he was a competitive racer. With him being quite a bit older I never really got to "know" him. According to ”Crash“, when his wife became pregnant she told him he had to quit and he did, selling the race car. But he still harbored the idea that he could/would get back into racing. He owned and ran a heavy equipment company and had a large barn where he did the repairs when needed. Somewhere over the ensuing years he'd bought a 1937 Ford coupe and had almost completed making it into a race car before his wife discovered what he was doing. ”Crash“ told me that George was told by his wife that it was either the car or her.

”Crash“ had me honk the horn and within seconds this old man appeared from inside the barn. It had been about seven years since I’d last seen George and he had really aged. On the other hand he didn’t recognize me at all. ”Crash“ did most of the talking while George showed me the car. It was really well built and I really liked it. When it was all over George said he wanted $250. I thought it was a very fair price. I, apologetically, explained that I didn’t have any money with me. Trying to save face I told him I’d get back to him but it was obvious that he wasn’t happy with that response. I, myself, wasn’t happy with ”Crash“ for bringing me there to begin with but had to keep it to myself as I was definitely going to need his help in putting what I hoped was going to be my new motor.

When I dropped "Crash" off at his house he asked if I'd seen the new car his daughter's boyfriend, Bags, was building. I hadn't been near anybody having anything to do with racing in a while so told him "no". His parting words were to tell me that I should go take a look at it. On my way home I got to wondering why Bags was building a new car when there was a new one, already built, for sale at a reasonable price. I decided that I should probably track him down and take a look at it.

The real cost of my race car ”dalliance“ that afternoon was a case of ”hot tongue and cold shoulder“ when I got home. I kind of expected it. She got over it by the time we left for church the next morning though, and I never really had to explain what I’d been doing... which was good.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Guess racing has always been an expensive sport. Wonder if Crash caught you checking out his daughter?