Tuesday, May 29, 2012

FINISHING OUT THE YEAR... (Part 92d)


It was right before Thanksgiving when I got a call at work from Elle. She’d observed workmen dismantling the patio awning and room over at Lil’s unit. I appreciated the info but it seemed like she wanted me to do something about it. I told her I’d call the office to see what was happening. It was right before Thanksgiving when I got a call at work from Elle. She’d observed workmen dismantling the patio awning and room over at Lil’s unit. I appreciated the info but it seemed like she wanted me to do something about it. I told her I’d call the office to see what was happening. I’d hoped that Dick (the ”nice“ brother/owner) would be there but it was Bea, the other brother’s wife who answered. She said that they’d been contacted by the bank who had loaned Andy and Lil the money for the mobile home to tell them that they were were going to repossess the unit. They’d paid cash for the awning and room so they were dismantling them. I found that disturbingly interesting and then called Elle to give her the ”scoop“. I wondered what would happen to the panels and also figured I’d better take a look in Andy’s shed before it was too late.

The day before Thanksgiving  came up very fast. Jan had called the night before and said that she’d change the sheets on her bed so I’d not have to sleep on my grandfathers chaise again. I hadn’t planned on it but appreciated the call anyway. I helped get the kids to bed and headed over. Normally, my grandfather went to bed sometime between 9 and 10pm. I got there around 8:30pm and was surprised that he’d set up a card table and had his domino set on it and ready to go. (Background: When I’d lived with my grandparents during WWII he’d taught me how to play. I’d play as many as a dozen games a night when I’d stay with them and I actually enjoyed playing against him. He was amazing because within a minute of drawing his tiles he knew exactly what I had and how to play against me. To beat him was a major accomplishment.) It had been years since I’d played dominoes with him so to see everything set up was a bit nostalgic.

Approaching 90, his eyesight had failed some but his mind was still sharp. It was close to 11pm when he decided to call it a night and, as I remember it, he’d won most of the games we played. I’m not using this and an excuse but after 10 pm I was looking forward to getting into Jan’s panty drawer even though I’d been there a couple of times before. What I really wanted to know was just how many of the new Lollipop panties she’d used. I also wanted to do a close inspection of the nylon panties. On my first ”visit“ into the drawer I’d discovered the new Argo Knit band leg cotton panties. They’d been the only cotton panties in the drawer which pretty much indicated to me that she’d worn only nylon panties before buying the band leg ones. I was really curious to know the reason behind the change.

After getting my grandfather settled I went into the room and took a deep breath as I started to pull the drawer open. I had to struggle a bit to get it out all the way. Finally successful, I reminded myself to make sure that everything I took out went back in the exact same place. What I did was to take each pile and place it on the bed in the same order and place I’d found it. There were two unopened packages of the Lollipops. There was one Lollipop that appeared to have been worn and washed plus two of the Argo Knits (I’d determined that these came from Woolworth’s). I never did know how many of them she owned before her panties were stolen off the wash line. I also didn’t know how many were in the wash and that raised another point... where did she keep her dirty clothes.

The nylon panties were really well worn and were not stacked as neatly as the others and her bras, stockings and garter belts. I rooted through them hoping to find a readable label but the only ones either just stated the size (5) or the word nylon. There were some that had old blood stains from her period and some with stitching along the side seams or elastics. All in all it was a bit of a disappointment.

I did check out her bras as long as they were out and available. I’d not done much in the way of bra peeks and the names I was most familiar with were Maidenform (going back to my boarding school roommate), Lovable from ads I’d seen in magazines and Playtex, which is the brand that Elle wore. For Jan, they were all without manufacturers labels but had the size, 34 A and B. Having seen Jan as much as I had, in various types of clothing, I had a hard time thinking of her as an ”A“. Elle was a ”B“ and there was a definite similarity between the two. I was puzzled.

After putting everything back I got washed up and climbed into bed. The first thing I noticed was a sweet fragrance emanating from the pillow. I couldn’t place it but with visions of panties and bras it made for sweet dreams.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Although not as exciting as you'd hoped, to paraphrase the old fishing saying, the worst time looking in a panty drawer is better than the best day doing something else! BTW, I posted a link to that TV show episode if you didn't see it yet.