Friday, September 06, 2013

LIFE GOES ON... at home and work (Part 115c)

LIFE GOES ON... at home and work (Part 115c)

I already had my hands full with most of my time taken up by being interrogated by the examiners. Now I had to go find a replacement for Joanne. Before we left for the day I asked Trish to give me the folder with the recent applications in it so I could review them at home. I wasn’t thrilled with what I saw but there were a couple that warranted being interviewed. The next morning, before I was even seated at my desk, Trish came up to me and it was plain to see there was something on her mind. As I’ve previously written, Trish and I were working well together. She’d been very helpful in being the intermediary between the "Polish Mafia" and management. However, there were times I couldn’t figure her out but I chalked it up to the fact that she was a female. On this occasion I wasn’t sure what was coming. She made a few abortive attempts to start but backed off each time. I finally told her to “spit it out”. With that, she relaxed a bit and sat down in the side chair next to my desk. She started out by asking me for a favor. That was a definite “first”. I had no idea where her “favor” was heading.

She asked if I could interview her 18 year old cousin before contacting any of the applicants. It wasn’t totally out of line because I’d been made aware of the fact that there were a number of employees who’d gotten their jobs by being recommended by an already employed relative. There were two sets of sisters and plus an aunt and her niece. It would mean a day’s delay before contacting the applicants but Trish had asked for a favor and I thought I knew her well enough by the to trust her judgement. I had a bunch of questions for her but customers were waiting so I told her we’d discuss it after 3pm.

The one thing I couldn’t put off was Bret. I made a half hearted attempt to get him to acknowledge that as “exciting” as it had been to see Joanne that way the end result wasn’t worth it. That pretty much ended any reference to the situation, at least between us. However, it did confirm to me that he was definitely a “panty man“. I also remember wondering what he’d think of me if he knew of my past panty involvement with his wife.

As soon as the last customer left the bank Trish was back at my desk. Basically, I asked about her cousin’s background. Her mother was Trish’s aunt who had married into a farm family. Her cousin’s given name was Laureen but she liked to be called Laura. She was the oldest of five children and, at least to Trish, that was a problem. I got another ”lesson“ on the Polish way of thinking as she explained the home situation for Laura. She’d graduated from school the previous June and had done fairly well as far as grades. But, she hadn’t gotten a job because her father expected her to stay at home and care for her siblings while her mother worked on the farm. I sat there somewhat dumbfounded as Trish told me that Laura hadn’t been allowed to be involved in extra curricular activities while attending school and that she’d never been on a date of had a boyfriend. Her father had forbidden it and demanding that she come right home and take care of the kids, clean the house, do the wash and prepare supper. At this point Trish offered up that if the law hadn’t required it, Laura wouldn’t have attended school after she turned twelve. There wasn’t much I could say because it was all laid out for me.

I took a few seconds to reflect on what I’d just learned and the big question for me was how was Laura going to escape the grasp of her somewhat (at least to me) tyrannical father. Trish told me that her mother and father had what we now call ”an intervention“ with him. He’d agreed to allow her the freedom to get a job but that she’d have to give most of her pay to him for room and board. Laura had agreed just to be able to have some freedom. But Trish warned me that when I interviewed her the next day to be expecting a very shy and somewhat introverted girl. She said that she felt that Laura would be a good fit with Liz, the auditor, a very laid back, mature woman who would be patient with her. When she finished telling me about Laura I couldn’t wait to meet her. Just to be fair to Liz I told her about the upcoming interview and promised that she would be the one to make the final decision. I remember her looking right at me and saying that she wanted another Joanne.

At home, even with the austerity, things were going well. When Elle went in to teach at the local school for the first time she was welcomed by some of the teachers who had taught her. That made her feel really good and the principal even went out of his way to welcome her back saying that he was sure he’d be seeing her again, and soon. For me, it couldn’t be soon enough. I hated owing money. James, Peggy’s father, was owed the most (over $50) but didn’t seem concerned. I know that should’ve been a plus but it actually made me more uncomfortable. I hadn’t seen Peggy since we’d moved. Not living in the same town anymore I didn’t go to his gas station on weekends when she did the ”books“. When I saw him I usually asked about her and when James told me that she had a boyfriend I could tell he wasn’t all that happy. The boy had graduated the previous year and was going to join one of the armed services. Jim volunteered that his main concern was that he’d go off and forget about her. All I could do was hope that it worked out for both Peggy and her father. I really liked both of them.

To be continued...

No comments: