Saturday, September 14, 2013

LIFE GOES ON... at home and work (Part 115f)

LIFE GOES ON... at home and work (Part 115f)

I’d calculated that it would be almost a month until I was able to take out a loan against my trust account. I’d really been hoping for a decent raise but, in reality, knew that even if I’d gotten what I’d hoped for it wouldn’t put much of a dent into what I owed. No matter what, I was going to have to wait until April.

One positive at work was the budding relationship between Jerene and Laura. Trish had come up with some clothes for Laura that were better suited for work than what she had but, because of a size difference between the two, they were ill fitting. Jerene, before starting at the bank, had worked in her family upholstering business and her primary job was to sew the material. In the course of getting to know each other Jerene volunteered to alter the skirts that Trish had given her. I wasn’t a party to any of this until, as I remember it, the first day Laura wanted to wear one of them to work. Her mother saw how short it was and had a “hissy fit”, according to Trish. I could see Laura was upset just by looking at her with her eyes all red and puffy. I asked Trish about it and she explained. She also said that she was going to take Laura home that afternoon and try to reason with her aunt about it. After Trish told me I took a look at Jerene and the hem of her skirt wasn’t the shortest of all the tellers with Cee and Katie holding that honor. It was about three inches above her knee and I felt that she probably wouldn’t have gone above that for Laura. I didn’t dwell on it as I had more serious things to consider with the interest period (or busy period, the term that the tellers used derisively among themselves) coming up quickly.

I wasn’t all that surprised to see Laura arrive in one of her cotton dresses the next morning. What was a surprise to me (and just about everybody else) was to see her about ten minutes later. There she was wearing one of Trish’s tweed skirts and it was about three inches above her knees. She also had on a frilly blouse and the combination on her was stunning. I looked down the teller line to where Jerene was standing and she had a great big smile on her face. I liked it! As soon as I could I asked Trish what was going on. She had a half smile on her face, almost a Cheshire cat grin. She hadn’t made out well with her aunt, being told it wasn’t any of her business and, in fact was given the skirt back. Trish was almost laughing at this point. When Laura had walked in that morning she intercepted her and gave her the skirt and one of her blouses and told her to go change in the ladies room. It was obvious that Trish was quite pleased with herself.

By the end of the day quite a few of the others had complimented Laura on how nice she looked and she responded by wearing a smile for most of the day. In a deal orchestrated by Trish and with the help of Jerena, that became the norm for
Laura. Arrive wearing one of her out of style and out place dresses and then, almost instantaneously, transform herself into an attractive, in style young woman. Jerena’s part became expanded when she realized that Laura could wear some of her clothes as well. I definitely remember both Bret’s and Hobie’s reaction. Neither had paid much attention, if any at all, to Laura’s hiring but, with the change in looks, they both became very aware of her presence.

The “busy period” started the following Tuesday and it was pure chaos. We had a number of teller machine breakdowns which slowed things down appreciably. There were still many people in the teller lines when 3pm came and the doors were locked for customers wanting to come in. I don’t remember what time it was when the last of them left but I do remember it was well after 6pm before I left. To me it was a bad omen. By 9am the next morning all the teller machines had been repaired but it was now the bookkeeping machine (the one that I’d been led to believe was a computer at the first bank I worked for) that was acting up. It would take way to long to explain the system we used for posting transactions to ledger cards. Suffice it to say, the chaos continued.

There was no way to explain the long lines to the customers. All we could do was to wait for the repairs to be made and listen to their grief. The machine was fixed on Thursday but the hangover from the loss of it for that time was tremendous. Lorie and Mala stayed late and came in early on Friday to try and get the postings up to date. But, what turned out to be the real problem was that so many ledger cards had been pulled from the file bins and, in the hurry to get them back in place, a lot of them were misfiled and that became our next problem. The complaints were numerous enough that Bert (the president) met with Hobie and I about it, telling us that we had to get it fixed before we opened the doors on Monday. The only solution we could come up with was to completely refile all the ledger cards. I remember shaking my head when asked what I thought about it. Since I didn’t have any ideas I felt it best to keep my mouth shut.

After a strategy meeting, with Bret included, Hobie felt it best that he be the one to tell the tellers, one on one, that they would have to come in on Saturday. Because of the short notice, to be fair, we’d decided that there would be two four hour shifts with the first from 8am to noon and the second from 1pm to 5pm. I suggested that the bank buy pizza for lunch with both groups able to partake. The women got to chose which shift they wanted based on seniority. After the expected grumbling it was explained they they would get paid as if they worked a whole day. That changed things, dramatically. We only had seven tellers but Elena, the mortgage teller, volunteered to help and then both Lorie, the bookkeeping machine operator, and Trish did also. As expected, the “old timers” elected the morning shift. Bret said he’d come in to supervise that group and I volunteered to buy the pizza and be in before noon and then take the afternoon shift. I can’t say anybody was really happy about it.

To be continued...

No comments: