Thursday, August 06, 2015

HOT, HOT, HOT... in many ways (Part 135g)

HOT, HOT, HOT... in many ways (Part 135g)

It was hard to sleep with the thought of the guy being blown to pieces going through my mind. I remember wondering why ‘Big B’ thought it was so important to call, especially since I didn’t know him at all, at that time of night. I was actually glad when it started to get light out. However, my thoughts which had been taken up with Sabrina and the bed for Bebe the previous evening were now focused on the upcoming day at work. I expected that the ‘Polak Joe’ situation would be addressed at some point in time and secretly hoped that it would lead to his being removed from the Board. J J had made a few off hand comments that indicated he felt uncomfortable any time Joe was around him so figured he felt somewhat the same.

I had the car radio set for the local news more to listen to the bank’s advertisements than for actual content. So, right after getting in the car I was shocked to hear the ”breaking news“ about Bebe’s brother building a bomb and blowing himself and his parents restaurant up. I thought I’d misheard the report. The announcer had made a definitive statement that it was a "bomb". To me, that seemed unbelievable... a ”bomb“ ? After a minute or so I decided it was the radio station trying to sensationalize the situation.  But the announcer kept repeating variations of the bomb angle. In fact, that was all there was to the news other than the weather report.

Pulling in to my parking place I saw that both Bert (the president) and Hobie were already there. For Bert to be there that early was a real rarity. Hank, at the door to let me in, told me that I was to go right up to the Board room. The two of them were at the head of the table and in what seemed to be deep conversation. I stood just inside the door for a bit and when they saw me told me to take a seat. I couldn’t imaging what this was going to be about but it was obvious that they were dead serious about something. About five minutes later J J walked in and was told to take a seat next to me. He looked at me and I wouldn’t say it was panic in his eyes but there definitely was concern. Bert then went to the phone and quickly returned to the place where he’d been sitting. It was starting to get ominous. Then Lena, Bert’s secretary, walked in and proceeded up to where Hobie and Bert were seated. She was instructed to take notes on everything that was going to be said. I remember her sitting there next to the two senior officers and being as calm as could be... something that both J J and I definitely were not.

Bert then told us that what we were about to hear was not, under any circumstances, to be discussed with anybody outside the room. If there was any indication of it there would be serious consequences. My eyes never left Bert’s face. Then he went over the scene from the mortgage committee meeting on Wednesday and, after a short pause, said that ‘Polak Joe’ had been censured and had his voting privileges suspended until further notice. I wanted to look over at J J but didn’t. Bert continued by saying that the bankers association that the bank belonged to ran four workshops for new Trustees. He said that our bank had never sent anyone feeling that we, out in the country, didn’t need to. But, with the current situation, it was painfully obvious that it was necessary. The next one was in September and that both Joe and the other new Trustee (the lawyer from up West) would be attending. Then he addressed J J and asked him if he understood the directions that he’d given him. He immediately nodded his head affirmatively but was told to answer the question and he answered with a hesitant ”Yes.“ Then I went through the same procedure.

I’d been so nervous that it took about fifteen minutes back at my desk to grasp what had just taken place. It was probably a half hour later before Hobie returned. I knew better than to say anything to him so to avoid even visual contact I went out to the new account tables. I hadn’t noticed until I got there but Karen wasn’t in. With Lillian working with Katie on learning the drive-up teller function it left Fran all by herself. There were three customers waiting so I stepped in to help out. Working along side her it was clear that she was not comfortable working with the public. Once those customers had their accounts opened and had walked away with their gifts I stayed in the area to talk with Fran about my observation. She agreed and made the comment that Lillian ”loved“ the job and meeting people. That made me feel better about my hiring of Lillian.

Trish knew about Karen’s absence but the two of us had yet to meet up. When I’d hired her I knew she wouldn’t be there for the last day of the new account/gift campaign as she was headed to Summer school at her college. The reason for her being absent was that the airline had cancelled the fight she was supposed to take and she was now booked on a much earlier flight. The change coming so late didn’t give her time to get all her needed things together. Looking around it appeared that our new account business had slowed down enough that she wasn’t really needed. However, I really wanted to thank her in person because she’d done a good job and had accomplished what I’d hoped for... to keep both Lillian and Fran focused. She was a real nice girl.

With Monday being the last day of the campaign I decided to consolidate all the remaining gifts after 3pm and to do another inventory check. After the first few days activity I’d hoped we might open 500 new accounts. After the inventory I knew it would take a crush of people on the last day to make it. At the time we’d barely made it to 450 based on the gifts still in inventory. I just wished there was some way to show how idiotic the sub-committee had been with not only their gift choices but also the amount of gifts they’d committed the bank to. Realistically, I knew nothing would come of it and, based on some of the comments made at the mortgage committee meeting, I’d get the blame.

Aurelia’s party that night was not just for the ‘group’ but did include Bob and Phyl as well as Jon and Ginger. Aurelia and her husband had invited some old friends as well as a few neighbors. Elle and I’d dressed fairly casual with Elle in knit pants and a bright top and me in a short sleeve sports shirt. However, upon our arrival we could see that some were a little more formal with women wearing dresses of various lengths and men in jackets. I was glad to see Bob and Jon so I could get the ‘scoop’ on the candidates for the principal's position at the high school. However, not surprisingly, the initial conversation was on the ”bomb“ and the ”crazy nut“  that had built it. What I did find fascinating was that the story had reached the city radio stations and newspapers. Here was our very small town making big city news because a kid had blown himself up. To me, that was what was ‘crazy’.

To be continued...

No comments: