Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Update #1

Update #1

Good news and bad news... The good news is that her condition is stable. The bad news is that she will (as of now) have to have an LVAD pump implanted to survive. LVAD stands for Left VentricularAssist Device to assist her heart in pumping her blood. Her condition is called RCM which stands for restrictive cardiomyopathy. Until meeting with her doctors in the hospital I'd never heard of an LVAD.

It is a mechanical pump powered by batteries. The pump is implanted just below the heart and is connected to small computer that is worn as a belt. Two rechargeable batteries power the device. The implant procedure takes anywhere from six to twelve hours. Having said that, she is still being evaluated for the procedure so no set date for it to happen.

The reason for not going on a heart transplant list is the fact that she had breast cancer a year ago and people who've had cancer can't go on the list until at least five years have passed and still remain cancer free. After the operation it will take many months of recovery time. We ( the immediate family) will have to form a support team for her as she will need constant monitoring. Once the date is set for the operation we will be schooled on just how to care for her. It will be a daunting task!

So, that's it from here. I have no idea when the next step will take place or our exact role in it will be. Time will tell.

PS... OB and BS, thanks for the encouragement! It is much appreciated.

2 comments:

badside said...

Glad to hear she is stable. Will continue to have you all in my thoughts PM.

oldblue said...

That sounds like a long and hard row to hoe for all of you. Although I don't know any of you, I feel that I do. You all are my internet family, if that makes any sense and I have only my Prayers and best wishes for her recovery and the hope that the rest of your family has the strength to see this through. Stay strong and guard your own health. as I have had a long time as a caregiver. It takes a heavy toll, but I am sure you and Elle are up to it.